This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Links in footnotes

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:42 PM
Edited Nov 6, 2015 at 1:43 PM
Is it possible to add a footnote that contains a link? This is possible with Word but I'm not seeing how it can be achieved here since only text can be put in the title attribute of the <abbr> tag.

Thanks
Coordinator
Nov 24, 2015 at 5:06 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Nov 25, 2015 at 8:14 PM
I added several comments to that work item. Not sure if that's monitored so I'm posting here as well.
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2015 at 4:08 PM
hello, yes indeed you did well in posting here because I didn't receive the traditional mail alerting...

In fact, I first started coding by accepting both text and links. But I finally think to keep the original HTML cleaner and if you really want an advanced footnote version, maybe I should introduce a new unofficial html tag (say <footnote> for example).
Just imagine what a table should give inside the <abbr> ?
<abbr title="<table><tr><td><a href='www.google.be'>link to google</a></td></tr></table>">some text</abbr>
It's starting to be quite ugly and the HTML parser will not like it...

Can you stick with your own custom code to add footnote, using plain OpenXML SDK ?
Dec 23, 2015 at 2:15 PM
Thanks for getting back to me, sorry I haven't checked this thread lately. Yes, I think ideally there would be a custom <footnote> tag, or possibly a standard <object> tag with a class="footnote" or something since that's a legal tag that can contain other HTML tags. This would allow anything to be placed in the footnote, which is what can be done in Word. My solution is fairly limited and just allows text and links together, which for my specific purpose should address about 95% of the scenarios. I'm fine continuing with my custom code, but would be more than welcome to you adding a more advanced footnote capability in as you've described. I'm not familiar enough with the OpenXML SDK to pull this off myself, and don't have the time to really dig too deep into it.

Thanks again for your thoughts. Maybe you can report back here if one day you do add a more advanced footnote capability?
Coordinator
Dec 23, 2015 at 2:29 PM
I can easily understand you don't want to start maintaining a fork.
Ok, I will start thinking about a workaround.

In really envisage to support <header> + <footer> / <footnote> ... 'just that I can't really define a timeline